Today I want to share with you the health benefits of watermelon. Warmer weather is upon us here in Arkansas and with warmer weather comes thoughts of outdoor activities and with those activities comes the act of eating watermelon.
There is nothing like a fresh piece of watermelon on a hot day. My favorite kind of watermelon is the orange variety, which is sometimes hard to find. I look forward to the weather getting warmer and warmer…remember I hate winter, and I look forward to eating some good watermelon soon.
Thanks to the website Medical News Today for the information below. Watermelon doesn’t seem to have as many health benefits as other fruits, but it’s still good for you and shouldn’t be ignored.
Here are the health benefits of watermelon:
1. Watermelon is a good source of vitamin C, which provides protection against immune system deficiencies, and vitamin A, which promotes good eyesight.
2. The red flesh of a watermelon is a significant source of phytochemicals, in particular, lycopene, which is also found in tomatoes. Lycopene is a nutrient with proven cancer-protection qualities.
3. Researchers at Florida State University found that watermelon is effective at preventing pre-hypertention, which can lead to cardiovascular disease. The study included nine participants who all benefited from the amino acid L-citrulline/L-arginine from watermelon extract, which lowered the participants aortic blood pressure.
4. Eating watermelon can help alleviate the pain associated with muscle soreness. A study, published in the “Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry”, revealed that eating watermelon can help treat post-exercise muscle soreness because of its high levels of L-citrulline.
5. Watermelons have been shown to help with male erectile dysfunction. A study conducted by researchers at Texas A&M found that phytonutrients in watermelon can relax blood vessels in the same way Viagra does. “Arginine boosts nitric oxicide, which relaxes blood vessels, having the same basic effect as Viagra, to treat erectile dysfunction and maybe even prevent it,” Dr. Bhimu Patil, director of Texas A&M’s Fruit and Vegetable Improvement at College Station, said.
6. Watermelon works as a diuretic. If you are having trouble urinating eat some watermelon and it won’t be long before you do.
As you can see watermelon has some good health benefits. The next time you’re at the store you should pick up a watermelon to have over the weekend, or at your next BBQ or family get-together. If you have the means to plant a garden you should plant some and come later in the summer you will have fresh watermelon, which can’t be beat.
Check out these recipes that contain watermelon.