Today I wanted to share with you the health benefits of bell peppers. Personally I do not like bell peppers. When something has bell pepper in it, or is cooked with bell peppers, such as stuffed bell peppers, which my mom absolutely loves, all I can taste is bell pepper. My taste buds have not taken a liking to them and I don’t know if they ever will.
I do not discriminate though when it comes to something I don’t like. There are still health benefits of bell peppers and I’d like to share those benefits with you today.
Thanks to the website www.care2.com for the information listed below. It is greatly appreciated.
Here are the health benefits of bell peppers.
1. Bell peppers are low in calories. So, even if you eat one full cup of them, you get just about 45 calories. Bonus: that one cup will give you more than your daily quota of Vitamin A and C.
2. Bell peppers contain plenty of vitamin C, which powers up your immune system and keeps skin youthful. The highest amount of Vitamin C in a bell pepper is concentrated in the red variety.
3. Red bell peppers contain several phytochemicals and carotenoids, particularly beta-carotene, which lavish you with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits.
4. Bell peppers contain capsaicin, which helps to reduce bad cholesterol, controls diabetes, brings relief from pain and eases inflammation.
5. The sulfur content in bell peppers makes them play a protective role in certain types of cancers.
6. The bell pepper is a good source of Vitamin E, which is known to play a key role in keeping skin and hair looking youthful.
7. Bell peppers also contain vitamin B6, which is essential for the health of the nervous system and helps renew cells.
8. Certain enzymes in bell peppers, such as lutein, protect the eyes from cataracts and macular degeneration later in life.
As you can see bell peppers have many health benefits. I will try again to like them, but I can’t promise anything. 🙂 In my defense I have to say, not everybody likes everything and bell peppers happen to be one of those things I just can’t seem to make myself like them. Maybe my taste buds will change some more and someday I will.
If you enjoy bell peppers here are some recipes containing bell peppers. Give them a try and enjoy.