Today I wanted to share with you the health benefits of blueberries, which are one of my favorite kinds of fruit. Blueberry flavored anything is so good, in my opinion. Same with peach flavoring…yum.
Thanks as always to the websites where I find the information I’m sharing with you. For this blog I found the information on www.philly.com Thanks to them.
Here are the health benefits of blueberries.
1. Blueberries have more antioxidants than any other fresh fruits or vegetables tested to date. Antioxidants strengthen your immune system by neutralizing free radicals introduced into your body by exposure to smoke, toxins and pesticides. Most of the berry’s antioxidant power comes from Anthocyanin, the pigment responsible for the blue color of the berries.
2. Blueberry extract, high in compounds called anthocyanosides, has been found in clinical studies to slow down visual loss.
3. Blueberries are low in calories. A cup of blueberries has less than 100 calories.
4. Blueberries are high manganese, which plays an important role in bone development.
5. A study published in the journal “Free Radical Biology and Medicine” suggests that blueberries reverse age-related memory loss, thanks to its abundance of antioxidants called flavonoids, which have been found to activate the parts of the brain that control memory and learning.
6. Eating three or more servings of blueberries each week may help reduce a woman’s risk of heart attack. Blueberries contain high levels of compounds that may help widen arteries, which counters the plaque buildup that generally causes heart attacks.
7. Blueberries can help reduce the risk of colon cancer in men and ovarian cancer in women.
8. A recent study that included blueberries as a low-glycemic index fruit was found that the berry has a favorable impact on blood sugar regulation in persons already diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Participants in the study who consumed at least three serving of low GI fruits per day saw significant improvement in their regulation of blood sugar over three months.
9. Blueberries, like cranberries, contain compounds that prevent bacteria from adhering to bladder walls, which helps ward off urinary-tract infections.
So, as you can see, blueberries have many health benefits. I encourage you to pick some up the next time you’re at the store. Get your blueberry on!
Check out these recipes using blueberries.