Today I wanted to share with you the health benefits of nuts. Our animal friends love them and so should you. They are packed with all kinds of vitamins and minerals and healthy fats.
I like all kinds of nuts, from peanuts to cashews, but my favorite is almonds. Me and almonds…yum! I love almonds in my cereal and in salads and just by themselves. I wish they had a healthy candy bar with almonds, but candy bar and healthy don’t really go together now do they? 🙂
So today I’ll share with you some of the health benefits of almonds, which are my favorite.
The following information comes from the website Medical News Today. Thanks as always to the websites I find information on.
1. Almonds help lower cholesterol. A study published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association found that consuming almonds increases vitamin E levels in the plasma and red blood cells and also lowers cholesterol levels. Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that defends your cells against damage on a daily basis and prevents artery-clogging oxidation of cholesterol. Eating a handful of almonds a day is a great way to get the vitamin E your body needs to stay healthy.
2. Consuming almonds can help reduce certain types of cancer. A study done by researchers at the University of California, Davis, showed that consuming almonds may help reduce the risk of colon cancer, and does so via at least one almond lipid-associated component.
3. Almonds help reduce the risks of heart disease. Almonds, along with nuts and seeds in general, are often associated with improved levels of blood lipids and being good for the heart.
4. Almonds are a good source of manganese and copper, which both help increase energy levels in the body.
5. Almonds have been shown to help prevent gallstones.
I would encourage you to pick up some almonds the next time you are at the store. They are a great snack with some great health benefits.
Check out these recipes using almonds.