Hummus, for those who don’t know, is mashed chick peas, olive oil, tahini, which is a sesame seed paste, lemon juice and garlic. For me, it is the best dip out there and one of the healthiest too.
Below are some of the health benefits of hummus. Thanks to Zee News for the information below.
1. The nutrients in hummus could help with weight management. Hummus is rich in protein, which can help fight hunger cravings and balance blood sugar levels. This could help curb excessive snacking.
2. Chickpeas can lower cholesterol.
3. Chickpeas may help reduce cancer risk. Food items that contain folate may reduce the risk of colorectal cancers (like colon cancer). What’s more? Researchers believe dietary fibre helps promote the growth of healthy bacteria in the colon, which is also protective against cancer.
4. Chickpeas are high in antioxidants, which can slow oxidative damage to our bodies. Garlic and lemon juice also found in hummus is full of wonderful age fighting nutrients.
5. Tahini is a source of calcium, protein and B vitamins. Tahini is a good source of essential fatty acids which helps to maintain healthy skin.
6. Hummus contains Omega 3 fatty acids, which are great for improving intelligence and maintaining a healthy heart.
7. The amino acids found in hummus can also help you get a good night’s sleep and uplift your mood.
As you can see hummus can be a great addition to a healthy diet. There are several different kinds of hummus on the market. My favorite is just plain hummus, but I’ve also discovered a garden herb hummus recently that I really enjoy too. I encourage you to give hummus a try if you never have. It’s delicious.
You can actually make hummus yourself. Which I may try.
Here is the recipe.