Today I wanted to share some of the health benefits of avocados, which I absolutely love. Guacamole is a favorite of mine and I also love fresh slices of avocado on a turkey burger in place of a condiment.
Below are the health benefits of avocados. Thanks as always goes to the websites I get the information from. The information for this blog comes from Healthonlinezine. Thanks a million to them. Now lets look at the healthy side of avocados.
1. Avocados contains vitamin B6 and folic acid, which help regulate homocysteine levels. High level of homocysteine is associated with an increased risk of heart disease. Avocados also contain vitamin E, glutathione, and monounsaturated fat, which help in maintaining a healthy heart.
2. Avocados are rich in a compound called beta-sitosterol which has been shown to be effective in lowering blood cholesterol levels.
3. Avocados are also a great source of potassium, which helps in controlling blood pressure levels.
4. Avocados are an excellent source of carotenoid lutein, which is known to help protect against age-related macular degeneration and cataracts.
5. The monounsaturated (good) fats in avocados can reverse insulin resistance which help to regulate blood sugar levels. Avocados also contain soluble fiber which keep blood sugar levels stable.
6. Avocados are rich in folate, a B vitamin commonly known as folic acid. One cup of avocado provides about 23% of the recommended daily value of folate. The high amount of folate in avocado is essential in the prevention of birth defects, such as neural tube defect and spina bifida.
7. Many studies have shown that avocados can inhibit the growth of prostate cancer. The oleic acid in avocado is also effective in preventing breast cancer.
8. Being rich in antioxidants, avocados are beneficial in preventing aging symptoms. The glutathione in avocados may boost the immune system, slow down the aging process, and encourage a healthy nervous system.
As you can see avocados are an important part of a healthy diet. I encourage you to pick some up next time you are at the grocery store. I encourage you to try a couple slices of thinly sliced avocado on a turkey burger instead of mayo or mustard. It’s really good.
Check out these recipes using avocados.