Bananas are something that I eat almost everyday, either one with breakfast or one with lunch. Bananas have many health benefits. Some you may know about and some you may not. The information below was pulled from an article on foodmatters.tv. I added this website to my favorites list. There’s all kinds of good stuff on the site that I want to check out. Have a look yourself by clicking on the link.
Now for some of the benefits of bananas.
1. Bananas reduce swelling, protect against type II diabetes, aid weight loss, strengthen the nervous system, and help with the production of white blood cells, all due to high levels of vitamin B-6.
2. Bananas help to protect against muscle cramps during workouts and night time leg cramps.
3. Bananas help overcome depression due high levels of tryptophan, which is converted into serotonin — the happy-mood brain neurotransmitter.
4. High in potassium and low in salt, bananas are officially recognized by the FDA as being able to lower blood pressure, and protect against heart attack and stroke
5. Bananas are a natural antacid, providing relief from acid reflux, heartburn and GERD.
6. Bananas are the only raw fruit that can be consumed without distress (pain) to relieve stomach ulcers by coating the lining of the stomach against corrosive acids.
7. Bananas are soothing to the digestive tract and help restore lost electrolytes after diarrhea.
8. Eating bananas helps prevent kidney cancer, protects the eyes against macular degeneration and builds strong bones by increasing calcium absorption.
9. Bananas are high in antioxidants, providing free radicals and protection from chronic diseases.
10. Rub a bug bite or hives with the inside of the banana peel to relieve itching and irritation.
Those are just some of the benefits I found most interesting. As you can see bananas are some what of a super fruit when it comes to the health benefits of eating them. I bought some earlier this week and I think they were only .59 cents a pound, so they are inexpensive compared to the prices of other fruits. I encourage you to pick some up the next time you are at the grocery store.
Check out the links below for some recipes that contain bananas.