Every morning with my breakfast I have a cup of almond milk and a bottle of water. Almond milk is a couple glass doors down from the regular milk in the grocery store, and shouldn’t be overlooked the next time you are at the store. If a recipe calls for milk, depending on what the recipe is, I will either use 1% milk, or almond milk.
One of the benefits about almond milk that I like is it doesn’t go bad as fast as regular milk does, and for someone who’s single, something going bad before it can be finished can be a problem. I was brought up not to be wasteful, and it really bothers me when part of something goes bad before I can finish it. I do my best not to over-buy on things, but sometimes buying the smallest amount or quantity sold is still sometimes to much to consume before it goes bad. All products aren’t perfect I suppose.
So today I wanted to share some of the health benefits almond milk. Thanks and credit goes to lifehack.org for the article which some of the information below comes from.
1. Almond milk helps with weight management. One cup of almond milk contains only 60 calories, as opposed to 146 calories in whole milk, 122 calories in 2 percent, 102 calories in 1 percent, and 86 calories in skim. It makes for a great substitute that will help you lose or maintain your current weight.
2. Almond milk helps keep your heart healthy. There’s no cholesterol or saturated fat in almond milk. It’s also low in sodium and high in healthy fats (such as omega fatty acids, typically found in fish), which helps to prevent high blood pressure and heart disease.
3. Almond milk keeps your skin healthy and glowing. Almond milk contains 50 percent of the recommended daily amount of vitamin E, which contains antioxidant properties essential to your skin’s health, such as protecting it against sun damage.
4. Almond milk doesn’t contain lactose. Lactose intolerance impacts about 25% of the US population, which means they have difficulty digesting the sugar in cow’s milk. This makes almond milk a suitable, lactose-free substitute.
5. Almond milk helps keep your digestion in check. Almond milk contains almost one gram of fiber per serving, which is important for healthy digestion.
6. Almond milk doesn’t require refrigeration. Knowing that you don’t have to refrigerate almond milk means you’ll be more likely to take it with you to work, or putting it in your kids lunch for school. It’s perfectly fine at room temperature which makes it a convenient, nutritious staple to pack.
So as you can see almond milk has many benefits. I buy the Silk brand original flavor. I’ve also had the vanilla flavor and it’s really good too. Other Silk choices include: Dark chocolate, unsweetened vanilla and original, light vanilla, light original, and two new ones, original and vanilla, protein + fiber. If you haven’t tried almond milk already you should. I think it taste better than regular milk and it has fewer calories and 50% more calcium that regular milk.